Lactation Rooms on the Capitol Complex
There are ten lactation rooms available for use on the Capitol Complex. Each room is equipped with a chair, sink (except Workforce Development), and a surface for equipment and educational materials.
The rooms are located at:
- Hoover (2 rooms)
- Lucas (2 rooms)
- Public Safety
- Wallace (2 rooms)
- Workforce Development
What is a lactation room?
A lactation room provides a private place where employees may nurse babies or pump breast milk to take home for later use.
Why have lactation rooms?
Lactation rooms provide support for women who choose to continue breastfeeding when they return to work.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
- Fewer missed days of work as breastfed babies are healthier
- Lowers a mother's risk of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and ovarian and breast cancer
- Saves money in the family budget
- Lowers a baby's risk for asthma, obesity, and type 1 diabetes
- Reduced incidences of ear, gastrointestinal, and respiratory infections
- Fewer allergies
- Protects against sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
For the Department
- Less time off used by breastfeeding employees since their babies will be healthier
- Less staff turnover; a working mother who can successfully continue to breastfeed will be happier with her job
- Saves health care dollars as breastfeed babies have fewer doctor visits and are admitted to the hospital less often
CDC - https://www.cdc.gov/
Office on Women's Health - https://www.womenshealth.gov/
WIC - https://wicbreastfeeding.fns.
WHO - https://www.who.int/news-room/
Healthy Children - https://www.healthychildren.
If you are a nursing mother with questions about lactation, contact the WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator at the Iowa Department of Public Health.
Nicole Newman, RD, LD, CLC
Contacts for the Hoover, Lucas and Wallace Buildings
To schedule a lactation room in the Hoover, Lucas, or Wallace Buildings, contact DAS-HRE.
Alternate Email: Employee.Benefits@iowa.gov
Contact for the Capitol
Contact for Grimes
Contact for Department of Public Safety Building
Contact for Iowa Workforce Development