Required Training: WHO needs WHAT?
Required classes for Purchasing Agents (PAs) & Agency Authorized Purchasers (AAPs) are based upon thresholds for purchasing authority classified as Level A, Level 1 (Basic), Level 2 (Advanced), or Level 3 (DAS PAs only).
- Level A Certification: Authorized purchasers at this level are required to pass the web-based training (WBT) module Buying Basics detailing State of Iowa procurement policy and procedures before making any purchases on behalf of the State. Buying Basics is strongly recommended for Pcardholders and anyone buying from existing Master Agreements (MAs), certified Targeted Small Businesses (TSBs) up to $10,000, goods up to $1,500, or services up to $5,000 (where no informal quotes or competitive bids are needed).
- Level 1 (Basic) Certification: Authorized purchasers at this level must complete and pass six (6) prerequisite procurement code WBTs, and a ½-day PDS Intro to State Procurement Class. SAE required classes include Basics of I/3 Financial (or equivalent experience), Basics of I/3 Procurement, and I/3 Advanced Procurement for Level 1 buyers posting solicitations to VSS. Once completed, Level 1 buyers are authorized to engage in informal quotes or competitive bids for purchases of goods from $1,500-$5,000 or services from $5,000-$50,000.
- Level 2 (Advanced) Certification: Authorized purchasers at this level (also known as “Advanced Procurement Authority”) must complete and pass six (6) prerequisite web-based procurement code modules, a ½-day PDS Intro to State Procurement Class, PDS Advanced Procurement Certification seminar, SAE Basics of I/3 Financial (or equivalent experience), SAE Basics of I/3 Procurement, and SAE I/3 Advanced Procurement, two (2) NIGP courses (Introduction to Public Procurement and Legal Aspects), as well as have six months procurement experience. Advanced Procurement Training is required for those obtaining quotes or competitive bids for goods purchases between $5,000 and $50,000, or service purchases above $50,000 (depending upon agency authority). Recertification must also be completed every two years to maintain advanced procurement authority status.
- Level 3: The Level 3 designation applies to DAS Central Procurement PAs only. Training includes all Level 1 and Level 2 requirements and recertification, as well as additional industry education. DAS Central Procurement oversight is required for competitive agency purchases of goods above $50,000 (unless code exemption applies).
Refer to the Procurement Training Guide to ensure the appropriate classes are taken.
DAS Central Procurement
Performance Development Solutions (PDS)
- PDS Procurement Class Descriptions:
- For PDS registration assistance, contact your agency's PDS training liaison (supervisor approval required for enrollment)
- For a complete listing of all PDS classes, current calendar and fees, visit the PDS webpage
DAS State Accounting Enterprise (SAE)
- For I/3 Financial and VSS information and training calendar, see the SAE I/3 website
Professional Procurement Associations