If you leave state employment, the federal Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) provides for continuation of health benefits coverage after your coverage with the state ends. However, certain events must occur for any persons covered under your contract to be eligible.


NOTICE: COBRA Continuation Coverage Rights

COBRA Premiums

2024 COBRA Health and Dental Monthly Premiums

Health Plans Comparison

 Iowa Choice - National Choice Benefit Comparison

Cobra Enrollment Form

COBRA Notification/Election form PDF 

Health and Dental Applications

Health Insurance Applications

Delta Insurance Applications

man thinking while looking out window


COBRA Qualifying Events

Here is a list of COBRA qualifying events and the maximum eligibility period allowed.

The State’s share of the premium payment for health and dental benefits will cease at the end of the month in which the qualifying events occurs, and you will be responsible for full payment of the premium.

**If you have been on leave, in order to be eligible for continuing insurance, you may need to catch up missed insurance premiums. Please contact your HRA to find out your payoff amount.

COBRA coverage begins the first of the month following the qualifying event. The COBRA election period is 60 days after the later of:

  • the date coverage would otherwise end, or
  • the date of the COBRA Notification/Election Form.

If your employment ends, DAS will mail a COBRA Notification/ Election Form to you within two-three weeks following your last paycheck. The notification includes monthly benefit costs and election instructions. In the event of the death of an active employee, the family will receive notice of their COBRA rights. If an employee divorces, reduces hours, or has a dependent that is no longer eligible for coverage, the employee must notify his or her Personnel Assistant within 60 days following the event so that the personnel assistant can send the COBRA information.

NOTE: COBRA rights will not be extended to a Domestic Partner or his/her children, if the relationship terminates, if the employee terminates from state employment, or if the domestic partner’s children have an event that makes them ineligible for employee’s plan.

For More Information:

For questions regarding your particular plan please contact your Human Resources Associate.