How do I apply for a state job?
Are there some common mistakes to avoid?
What should I do if I receive the following message: The username or password is incorrect?
What should I do if I want to change information on my profile?
Do I have to take a test?
What happens after I apply for a job?
What about veterans points?
- Visit Job Openings for All Applicants on the State of Iowa Career pages.
- Visit the Job Openings for Current Permanent State Employees page if you are currently a permanent State of Iowa employee.
- Search for a vacancy that matches your job search criteria, or sign up for a Job Interest Card which will notify you when a position has been posted matching the areas of interest you selected. Applications are only accepted if a vacancy is posted on the website.
- To sign up for notifications of new postings, go to the Career Pages menu and click, "Notify Me of Job Openings."
- Each vacancy announcement includes specific application instructions and an application deadline date. Please follow instructions listed in the vacancy announcements.
- In order to apply for State of Iowa positions, you will need to create a NEOGOV account by clicking on the SIGN IN link at the top right of the career pages. More help regarding creating an account can be found here.
- Please Note: You will need to have an active email account in order to apply. If you do not have an email account, you can sign up for a free account from services such as Outlook, Yahoo! Mail, or Gmail. It only takes a few minutes to complete the registration process.
- We are available to help you between the hours of 8 am to 4:30 pm by calling 515-281-5889. You may also visit our office in the Hoover Building, Level A, 1305 E. Walnut, Des Moines. We have a computer in our front lobby for your convenience in completing the on-line application.
- If you do not have internet access, Iowa Workforce Development offices across the state have computers and staff available across the state to assist you. Many public libraries also offer computers with internet access.
- All NEOGOV features can be accessed on your computer, tablet, and smartphone.
- The information on your applicant record must be accurate and complete or we may not be able to process it.
- Make sure your NEOGOV profile is up-to-date with current personal information (address, phone number, etc) and education/employment history.
- Make sure you submit your application for a job prior to the expiration date. DAS-HRE is not responsible for late, lost, misdirected or damaged applications.
- Your application, and resume, if you choose to submit one, should include detailed employment dates (month/year) and the hours worked per week for each of your jobs. If your resume or application information does not clearly indicate you meet the minimum qualifications for the position, your application cannot be forwarded to the hiring agency.
- If you forget your password, you can use the Reset Password link on the career pages.
- You should confirm your username or reset your password by clicking on the FORGOT USERNAME or RESET PASSWORD links under the SIGN IN in the upper right-hand corner of the career pages.
- If you don’t have access to the email address listed on your account, you will need to contact the NEOGOV applicant support team for assistance. For security reasons, the reset password email is sent only to the email address associated with your account. NEOGOV's applicant support team will ask you a series of questions to verify your identity, and then update the email address on the account as appropriate.
- DAS-HRE cannot reset your password for you. Please contact NEOGOV Applicant Support at 855-524-5627 for password resets. To speak to a live specialist, call M-F 8:00 am - 7:00 pm (CST). If you cannot immedately reach a live specialist, you can press 2 to request a call back.
- The system is not accepting my new password. What should I enter? Passwords must be at least 8 characters in length and contain upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols. To reset your password, click Reset Password. Once you’ve entered a new password twice, you receive the message Your password has been updated.
- Password reset emails are sent immediately, but delivery can depend on your email provider. Check your spam/junk email settings/folder if you do not receive the email. Sometimes adding the firstname.lastname@example.org address to your contacts resolves this issue. If the email is still is not received, contact technical support at your email service provider to determine if the reset password email is being filtered out or blocked.
- Log into your user profile to make any changes using the Job Openings for All Applicants or Job Openings for Current Permanent State Employees links.
- You can also find an online application guide here.
If you are required to take a test, details will be in the job announcement.
- A typing test is required for certain positions. If required, this will be noted on the vacancy posting. More information is available here.
- The need for tests for other positions is determined by the hiring agency. Please contact the hiring agency with any questions.
- When you apply for an announced vacancy, DAS-HRE staff review your application. If you meet the minimum requirements for that vacancy, your information is forwarded to the hiring agency. The hiring agency will notify you if you are selected for an interview.
- Hiring departments may have additional requirements in addition to the minimum qualifications for the job. Be sure to carefully read the vacancy posting and follow all instructions posted.
- In all cases, the hiring department will contact applicants to arrange for an interview and are responsible for contacting all applicants after making their hiring decisions.
- Please do not contact DAS-HRE or NEOGOV Applicant Support to ask about the status of your application. You can check your application status by signing in to your applicant profile, clicking on your name in the upper-right hand corner of the screen, and clicking on Applications, or contact the hiring agency directly.
Upon request, veterans points will be applied to honorably discharged veterans as defined in Iowa Code Chapter 35C who are residents of Iowa. Former members of the Reserve Forces or Iowa National Guard who served at least 20 years after January 28, 1973 are eligible. Reserve Force or Iowa National Guard veterans who were activated for federal duty, other than training, for a minimum of 90 days and were discharged under honorable conditions or retired under Title 10, United States Code, are eligible. Veterans with a service-connected disability, a Purple Heart, or who are receiving disability compensation or pension through the U.S. Veterans Administration may also request veterans points. Proof of disability from the Veterans Administration must be submitted and updated every two years.
A COPY OF A CERTIFIED DD214 OR OTHER OFFICIAL DOCUMENT MUST BE SUBMITTED FOR PROOF OF SERVICE.
Documents can be submitted in three ways:
- U.S. Post (your document will not be returned to you):
- Department of Administrative Services, Human Resources Enterprise,
Hoover State Office Building
1305 E Walnut
Des Moines, IA 50319-0150
Attn: Employment Team.
- Department of Administrative Services, Human Resources Enterprise,
- Fax the documentation to us at 515-281-7970
- Via email