You are here

Johnson County

913 S Dubuque Street, Suite 103
Iowa City, IA 52240
Phone (319) 356-6004 / Fax (319) 356-6086

Your new RIC 457 retirement savings benefit begins September 1, 2021!

Plan details specific to your employer's 457/401a plans are shown below. Access additional program information from the left menu. Enrollment is year round. Take advantage of this great employee benefit today!

Eligibility   Contributions/Roll-ins   Enrollment & Investments   Changes & Distributions
All employees are eligible to participate.

Participants are fully vested from day one.

  457 employee contributions: Option to save pretax through payroll deductions up to the IRS annual maximum contribution limits.

Catch-up  - Close to retirement, the 3-Year Catch-Up benefit allows qualified participants to contribute over the Age 50+ limit. To find out if you qualify, request a 3-Year Catch-Up Worksheet.

Roll-ins: At any time, you may roll in assets from an eligible outside retirement plan such as 401k, 403b, 401a, and non-Roth IRA to take advantage of the RIC benefits. Your RIC provider will assist you with this. Assets rolled into RIC are available for distribution without restrictions or penalties.


  Enrollment: Enrollment is always open! Enrollment is completed through a RIC investment provider. View enrollment options available through your plan's RIC providers

Investments: RIC providers offer a variety of investment options at little to no cost and provide assistance with enrollment, investment selection, and account reviews at no extra cost. View RIC provider & investment information. For a list of available fund options review the RIC At-A-Glance PDF.


  Payroll deductions - You may request a change to your existing payroll deduction amount and taxation at any time by completing the RIC Account Form PDF and forwarding it to your payroll office.

Account management: To manage investment selection, obtain account information, change personal or beneficiary information, access your account online or call your provider.

Distributions: While employed, distribution options are limited. Once separated from employment, contact your provider directly to request distributions.

Provider transfers: To transfer assets between RIC providers, establish an account with the receiving provider and complete the RIC Account Form. There are no restrictions or fees for this type of transfer. 

If you have an existing 457 account with a non-RIC provider, you may be able to transfer your assets to an RIC provider but restrictions and fees may apply. Ask an RIC provider for assistance if you wish to explore this option.