Per 11 IAC 103.8, each state driver who is assigned a state vehicle or drives a state or private vehicle on state business at least 5,000 miles per year shall attend a Defensive Driving or Driver Improvement Course every three years.
Defensive Driving Courses are sponsored jointly by the Department of Administrative Services, Iowa Safety Council, and Department of Public Safety.
Employees who are newly assigned to a state vehicle should attend the next available Defensive Driving Course.
Defensive Driving Courses may be required (at the driver’s agency expense) to restore fleet privileges. All drivers must notify their appropriate agency personnel and DAS Fleet Services immediately if their driver’s license has been revoked, suspended, or restricted. The driver must also report any citations received while operating state-owned motor vehicles. The Department of Administrative Services (DAS), in conjunction with the Human Resources Enterprise (HRE), may terminate state vehicle driving privileges in these instances.
Any drivers who have been issued a traffic citation or who have been involved in an automobile accident, which was totally or partially caused by their negligence, must attend the next available Defensive Driving Course at the driver’s agency’s expense (costs will be included on monthly eDAS billings). For a complete of list qualifying incidents, refer to IAC 11-103.12.
Upcoming Defensive Driving Courses Schedule:
- November 29, 2018 Iowa State Patrol, District 10, Manchester Fire Department
- December 12, 2018 Iowa State Patrol, District 5 office, Cherokee
- December 11, 2018 District #3 office in Council Bluffs
- December 18, 2018 District #1 office in Des Moines
- December 18, 2018 District #9 office in Cedar Falls
- December 20, 2018 District #1 office in Des Moines
- January 15, 2019 District #3 office in Council Bluffs
- January 16, 2019 District #1 office in Des Moines
- January 23, 2019 District #1 office in Des Moines
- January 23, 2019 District #9 office in Cedar Falls
All courses are scheduled from 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Refer to the Iowa State Patrol District Map for locations.
To register, please email Lt. Brett Tjepkes the following information:
- Class date
- Employee's last name
- First name
- Middle initial
- eDAS code or cost center (consult your agency's budget analyst or financial manager for billing info)