Per 11 IAC 103.8, each state driver who is assigned a state vehicle or drives a state or private vehicle on state business at least 5,000 miles per year shall attend a Defensive Driving or Driver Improvement Course every three years.
Defensive Driving Courses are sponsored jointly by the Department of Administrative Services, Iowa Safety Council, and Department of Public Safety.
Employees who are newly assigned to a state vehicle should attend the next available Defensive Driving Course.
Defensive Driving Courses may be required (at the driver’s agency expense) to restore fleet privileges. All drivers must notify their appropriate agency personnel and DAS Fleet Services immediately if their driver’s license has been revoked, suspended, or restricted. The driver must also report any citations received while operating state-owned motor vehicles. The Department of Administrative Services (DAS), in conjunction with the Human Resources Enterprise (HRE), may terminate state vehicle driving privileges in these instances.
Any drivers who have been issued a traffic citation or who have been involved in an automobile accident, which was totally or partially caused by their negligence, must attend the next available Defensive Driving Course at the driver’s agency’s expense (costs will be included on monthly eDAS billings at $35 per class attendee). For a complete of list qualifying incidents, refer to IAC 11-103.12.
Upcoming Defensive Driving Courses Schedule:
- January 28, 2020 - Registration Closed
- February 10, 2020 - Iowa State Patrol District 8 Office, Mason City
- February 13, 2020 - Iowa State Patrol District 5 Office, Cherokee
- February 19, 2020 - Iowa State Patrol District 3 Office, Council Bluffs
- February 19, 2020 - Iowa State Patrol District 1 Office, Des Moines
- February 26, 2020 - Registration Closed
- March 6, 2020 - Iowa State Patrol District 1 Office, Des Moines
- March 24, 2020 - Iowa State Patrol District 11 Office, Cedar Rapids
All courses are scheduled from 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Refer to the Iowa State Patrol District Map for locations. Registration will be closed a week prior to the course date.
To register, please click the date you would like to attend and register online. For your convenience, refer to the Registration Instructions before proceeding. NOTE: Your selected Location, Date and Time will be pre-populated. For assistance, contact DAS Fleet Services at SoIDrivers@Iowa.gov or 515-281-3162.