Eligible family members for health and dental insurance coverage are:
- Your spouse (A husband or wife as the result of a marriage that is legally recognized in Iowa. This does not include a spouse from whom you are legally separated or divorced.)
- Your domestic partner (same sex or opposite sex) ( Domestic partners for SPOC-covered employees are not eligible for health and dental insurance coverage.)
- Your children
A child is:
- Your natural child
- A child placed with you for adoption or a legally adopted child
- A child for whom you have legal guardianship
- A stepchild
- A foster child
You may be required to provide documentation that a dependent is eligible as defined above.
Your child may be covered for health and dental insurance through the end of the year in which he/she turns age 26. The child under age 26 can be:
- A student or non-student
- Live in Iowa or outside Iowa
- Be unmarried or married (a dependent's spouse is not eligible for coverage)
Your child who is unmarried and a full-time student in an accredited institution of postsecondary education may be covered regardless of age.
Your unmarried child who is totally and permanently disabled, physically or mentally, may be covered regardless of age. (The disability must have existed before the dependent child turned age 26 or while a full-time student.)
The Benefits Management Team of the Iowa Department of Administrative Services developed this website to provide you with information about your benefit options, and serve as a valuable resource for information about your benefits. The benefits described at this website are subject to change. Nothing herein shall be construed as a guarantee of benefits. This website is not a complete description of the State of Iowa’s benefit plans. Nothing on this website supersedes or changes any of the terms and conditions of any plan documents, insurance policies, or other legal agreements. If the wording in this website contradicts any plan documents, laws, regulations, administrative rules, insurance policies, or other legal agreements, the wording in the official documents and agreements will govern.
If you have any questions, please contact your Human Resources Associate.