Eligible family members for health and dental insurance coverage are:
- Your spouse (A husband or wife as the result of a marriage that is legally recognized in Iowa. This does not include a spouse from whom you are legally separated or divorced.)
- Your domestic partner (same sex or opposite sex) ( Domestic partners for SPOC-covered employees are not eligible for health and dental insurance coverage.)
- Your children
A child is:
- Your natural child
- A child placed with you for adoption or a legally adopted child
- A child for whom you have legal guardianship
- A stepchild
- A foster child
You may be required to provide documentation that a dependent is eligible as defined above.
Child through the end of the year turning age 26
Your child may be covered for health and dental insurance through the end of the year in which he/she turns age 26. The child under age 26 can be:
- A student or non-student
- Live in Iowa or outside Iowa
- Be unmarried or married (a dependent's spouse is not eligible for coverage)
Child older than age 26
An unmarried, full-time student in an accredited institution of postsecondary education may be covered for health and dental insurance regardless of age .
Child totally and permanently disabled
Your unmarried child who is totally and permanently disabled may be enrolled in health and dental insurance regardless of age (The disability must have existed before the child, while an eligible dependent, turned age 27 or while a full-time student.)
Totally and permanently disabled (physically or mentally) is defined as receiving Medicare disability benefits.