Memorial Tree/Bench Program
The State of Iowa Capitol Complex is blessed with over 187 acres of grounds, memorials and facilities for the public to enjoy. You can help make a difference by donating funds used to purchase trees, benches or picnic tables to serve as a living reminder of the special people in our lives and to forest areas of the Capitol Complex grounds.
The Memorial Tree and Bench Program on the Capitol Grounds shall:
- Enhance the public’s use and enjoyment of the Iowa State Capitol Complex.
- Not distract from scenic public views to or from the Capitol.
- Not interfere with existing site features, buildings, monuments, or public functions.
- Be sensitive to the relationship of the Iowa State Capitol Complex to adjacent neighborhoods and the city of Des Moines.
- Be consistent with the Iowa State Capitol Master Plan.
For more information about the Memorial Tree/Bench/Picnic Table Program, call (515) 242-5120 extension 3 or e-mail DAS Customer Service.
How to Order a Memorial Bench or Picnic Table
- Capitol Complex Maintenance recommends a variety of metal / wood benches and picnic tables which are durable, economical and will work with the donor to determine location, proper bench/table style and timelines for installation.
- Donors order and purchase benches and/or tables for delivery to the Capitol Complex Maintenance Grounds shop.
- Capitol Complex Maintenance Grounds staff will assemble the item and install at agreed upon location.
- The State of Iowa will make every effort to properly maintain the Bench or Table. However, in the event of damage and/or age, the item will be removed and not replaced unless the donor provides for the replacement.
- Capitol Complex Maintenance Grounds staff will install a donation plaque on benches and picnic tables only when the plaque is provided by the donor. Examples of standard plaque sizes and text are available.
How to Order a Memorial Tree
- Capitol Complex Maintenance recommends a variety of trees that are suitable for the site and economical and will work with the donor to determine location, proper tree selection and timelines for installation.
- Donors make arrangements to purchase the tree and ensure proper planting through local vendors.
- Donors are required to follow the Capitol Complex Ground Penetration Process.
- Tree planting periods include April 15 - June 16 and September 15 – October 15.
- Capitol Complex Maintenance Grounds staff will recommend planting locations or donors may suggest a desired planting location within a park or conservancy area.
- The State of Iowa will make every effort during the first year of growth to help the tree get established. Should the tree not survive, it will not be replaced unless the donor provides for the replacement.
- Planting a memorial tree today provides a connection with the past and a gift for the future.
Capitol Complex Maintenance Grounds staff will install a donation plaque for the tree only when the plaque is provided by the donor. Examples of standard plaque sizes and text are available.
Recommended Tree, Table and Bench Donations
- Tree (2”- 3" DBH) $500-$700
- Decorative Park Bench with back support $1,200
- Decorative Park Bench with concrete pad $1,500
- 4' square picnic table $650 (expanded metal, vinyl coated with concrete pad)
- 8' Portable Picnic Table $750 (expanded metal, vinyl coated with concrete pad)
- 8' Portable Picnic Table $550 (without concrete pad)