You are here

Workforce Development Building

Quick Facts

Building Name, Address:

Workforce Development Building, 
1000 East Grand Avenue, Des Moines

Primary Occupants:

Iowa Workforce Development

Years Constructed:

1962-1963

Designers & Builders:

Smith Voorhees Jensen Architects Associated
Garmer & Stiles Co. - General Contractor
Conditioned Air Corp. - Mechanical Contractor
Iowa Sheet Metal Contractors - Plumbing
Capital City Electric - Electrical Contractor

History/Overview

The Workforce Development Building northwest of the Capitol was built in the early 1960s and has previously been known as the Employment Security Building and the Job Services Building.

Green Features

  • Free cooling
  • Optimized steam heating
  • Air Handling Unit (AHU) economizers
  • Lighting schedules and Air Handling Unit (AHU) occupied/unoccupied schedules are programmed through the building automation system
  • Fluorescent lighting upgraded to efficient T-8 lamps with electronic ballasts and LEDs
  • Incandescent bulbs replaced with energy-saving compact fluorescent lamps and LEDs
Workforce workforce 2 workforce 3
Capitol View Conference Room in the Workforce Development Building.

Photo by: Quality Automation Graphics

The Iowa Workers Monument is located southwest of the Workforce Development Building. The inscription around the monument, created by artist Michael Stutz, reads: "A Tribute to Iowa's Workers Strong Work Ethic and Determination." It was dedicated in 2008.

Photo by: Tera Granger

The bas-relief sculpture on the east wall of the IWD Building lobby is called "Spirit of a New Age." It was originally installed in 1962 by Des Moines artists Gordon Keyte and Neal Cassidy. The artwork was dismantled after 25 years to make room for more offices, but in 1992 a new reception lobby was dedicated and for a second time, "Spirit of a New Age" was unveiled.

Photo by: Quality Automation Graphics