THE WEIDENMANN PROJECT (Includes monuments 8-11)
In 1884, a committee appointed by Governor Buren R. Sherman chose architect John Weidenmann of New York City to design plans for improving the state capitol grounds. The plans were set aside while work on the capitol continued. Six years later, the actual project began and it was completed in 1892.
A second fountain now stands on the site formerly occupied by the Weidenmann Project's Centennial Fountain. The original, Renaissance-style fountain was a copy of one displayed at Philadelphia's Centennial Exposition in 1876. The ornate cast-iron work was topped with a woman holding a vase. Between its two basins, three additional female figures circled the center support. Swans and cherubs ringed the base.
After decades of vandalism and disrepair, the new fountain was ordered in 1980. The ten-foot-high Bicentennial Fountain was installed in 1982.