BrassRing Information for the Hiring Department Personnel Office
Here are links to help use BrassRing, learn about the features of the system, complete forms, and view applicant information.
- Logging in to Enterprise
- The BrassRing (Enterprise) navigation bar
- Understanding other new BrassRing concepts
- Completing the requisition form (formerly the MLR)
- Working with reqs
- Working with applicants in a req folder
- Working with applicant talent records
- Applicant forms
- Creating a Disposition Form for a hired applicant
- Sending communications to applicants through BrassRing
- eLinking applicant information to supervisors
The BrassRing system is called Enterprise. Below is the login screen you will use to enter the system. Your username and password are set for you when you first log in to the system. You will be required to change your password the first time you log in. If you forget your password, click on the Forget your password? link and follow the instructions on the screen. You will be required to change your password every 60 days. Changing your Enterprise BrassRing password will have no effect on other passwords you use to get into other systems. Likewise, changing other passwords will not impact your Enterprise BrassRing password.
1. Enter your user name and password
The Enterprise navigation bar is at the top of each BrassRing page. It provides an easy way to navigate to any function you need within the system. The major links are described here:
The first link on the navigation bar is the Reqs link. Req is short for requisition which is the new document that will take the place of the MLR. Use this link to take any actions on the reqs in the system to which you have access. You can view reqs in any status, add a new req, or search for existing reqs. Add a new req instructions.
The second link on the navigation bar is the Candidates link. Use this link to take any actions with the candidates who have applied for the reqs in the system to which you have access.
The third link on the navigation bar is used to do general tasks. The links are:
The five links on the far right of the navigation bar are as follows:
The BrassRing (Enterprise) Administration Welcome Screen
After you log in to BrassRing Enterprise, you will see the Welcome Screen. This screen can be modified for each person to help you do your job. The first time you log in, you will see the basic Welcome screen shown below.
You can make changes to this screen so that the items you use most often to do your job are convenient to reach.
The screen is set up to have three columns. You can set up the left column and the right column any way you choose. The center column cannot be changed by individual users. That column is used for system messages. The top portion of the center column will include announcements and general information from BrassRing. The lower portion of the center column will include announcements and messages from DAS-HRE.
Here is how to set up the welcome screen:
Click Admin, Welcome screen admin.
You will see the the Administer Welcome Screen page, shown below. As mentioned earlier, there are three columns on the screen, two of which you can change. You can place three items in the left column and three items in the right column. The center column shown below includes all the possible items you can display on your screen. The box on the left is where you put the three items you want to display on the left side of your screen. The box on the right is where you put the three item you want to display on the right side of your screen.
Here is a brief description of the Available categories:
- My reqs: reqs to which you have access.
- My candidates: applicants who have applied for your reqs
- BrassRing partners: generally used if systems use third party posting sites. Iowa does not use those sites at this time.
- Schedule, My schedule (today): shows interviews you have scheduled in BrassRing.
- Schedule, My schedule(calendar): a current month calendar.
- HR Status: performs a search of any selected HR statuses to show which of your applicants have each status.
- Add req: quick link to the add a new req screen.
- Aging for open reqs: shows a chart to diagram how many reqs are open and for how long.
- Admin links: quick link to the changes you can make in the Admin option at the top of the screen.
- My favorites: space in which you can enter any other internet links which you use on a regular basis. Can be other State web pages or outside web pages.
- Overnight search results: quick links to any searches you may do on a regular basis.
To make the changes to your Welcome screen, follow these steps:
- Review the Available categories in the center of the screen. You can click on the Selection details link at the bottom of the box to make it easier to select multiple items.
- Select one, two, or three items for the left column.
- Click on the << link to the left of the box to move the selected items into the Selected categories (Left) box.
- Select one, two or three different items for the right column.
- Click on the >> link to the right of the box to move the selected items into the Selected categories (Right) box.
The above steps will place item categories into the two columns on your screen. But you aren't done yet. Many of the categories have additional details that go with them that you must select. The next step is to Define content categories, using the links above the category boxes. The content category links are toward the top of the screen and look like this:
You must further define any of the categories you selected before you can save the changes. For example, if you choose to display the My reqs category to display, you select the My reqs Define content categories link to see this:
Select the types of reqs you want to display in the My reqs item on your screen and click Save.
Repeat the above action for each item you selected for your screen.